Cucumber and Wakame Seaweed Sunomono is a very refreshing side dish. The combination of cucumber and wakame is one of the most popular types of Sunomono. You too can make this simple and tasty dish at home.
If you have a mandolin or vegetable slicer, it’s a breeze to make this. But even if not, you can still slice cucumbers the old way, with a knife. Just need a little practice!
If you need more detailed instructions, please watch our Sunomono (Cucumber Salad) video.
- 2 Tbsp dried Wakame seaweed
- 2 Japanese or 3 Persian cucumbers
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Hydrate dried Wakame seaweed in water for 10 minutes. Drain water and squeeze water out from Wakame.
- Slice cucumbers as thin as you can. Stir in salt, and let sit for 5 minutes. Squeeze water out from cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, mix rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil together until sugar dissolves.
- Add vinegar mixture and sesame seeds to prepared cucumbers and Wakame and mix well.