You might have noticed already, but I love Kabocha (Japanese pumpkin.) It’s sweet, healthy, and very versatile. You can cook it just like potatoes. Mash it, fry it, simmer it, and etc. Today I made a simple Kabocha salad with cucumbers. It is similar to Japanese potato salad, but the ingredients here are a lot simpler. Kabocha can be softened in the microwave very easily and quickly, so the salad can be made in no time. Perfect side dish for a weekday supper!
- 1/4 - 1/3 Kabocha (Japanese pumpkin)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Japanese or 2 small cucumbers
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (preferably Japanese mayo)
- black pepper to taste (optional)
- raisins (optional)
- Peel and dice Kabocha and place them in a microwave safe dish. Cover and cook about 6 minutes in microwave or until soft. Mash Kabocha slightly (you don't need to mash all the way.) Add lemon juice and let it cool.
- Slice cucumber thinly and sprinkle salt in another bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes and squeeze water out.
- Mix Kabocha, cucumber, and mayonnaise. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix in or top with some raisins.