Soboro is ground meat cooked with seasonings such as Soy Sauce and sugar. You stir the meat as you cook it, breaking it up to form small pieces or pebbles, giving Soboro its typical appearance and texture. Soboro made from chicken is the most typical dish, but you can also use pork or some kinds of fish to make it.
Donburi or Don are rice bowl dishes like Oyakodon or Katsudon. Chicken Soboro Donburi usually has cooked ground chicken, scrambled eggs, and some green vegetables. It tastes good of course but also looks colorful and beautiful. You can often find Chicken Soboro Don at Udon restaurants in Japan just like Oyakodon, but not always. It is quite easy to make at home with simple ingredients, so if you can’t find it at restaurants, that’s OK, you can still enjoy the dish straight from your own kitchen.
Scrambled egg for the Soboro Donburi is not quite like the scrambled egg typical of American breakfasts. Using 4 chopsticks, you stir constantly while cooking the eggs so that they form small lumps the same size as the ground meat. It shouldn’t be watery, but not hard either. Soft and kind of sweet tasting eggs match very well with meat and rice. Sometimes, raw yolks instead of cooked eggs are used for this dish. Cover the rice with chicken Soboro and drop a yolk in the middle. If you can find fresh and clean eggs and like to try a different kind of texture of the food, go for it. Otherwise stick with cooked eggs which is much safer (risk of salmonella bacteria). The chicken can be ground breast or thigh, but thigh contains more fat and therefore is more moist and juicy.
Somewhat strongly flavored Soboro tastes good even when it’s cold, and it could make a wonderful Bento lunch too. It is easy to make a lot in one batch, so you can make Bento for the whole family.
- 1/2 lb (225g) ground chicken
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Mirin
- 1 Tbsp Sake
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 15 green beans
- Steamed Rice
- In a medium pot, put together ground chicken, sugar, Soy Sauce, Mirin, and Sake. At medium heat, cook chicken stirring constantly with 4 chopsticks until sauce is all evaporated.
- In a different pot, put together eggs, sugar and salt to make scrambled eggs. At medium heat, cook egg mixture stirring constantly with 4 chopsticks until cooked through but not too hard. Remove from heat, and stir a little longer until eggs set.
- Boil green beans for 2-3 minutes with some salt. Slice thinly.
- Place some Steamed Rice in a bowl, and add chicken, eggs, and green beans on top.