Tamagoyaki Sandwich is a popular choice for Japanese Bento lunch. Tamagoyaki, pan-fried egg, is a quick but delicious filling for sandwiches. Just make some eggs into a thick frittata-like shape, which takes no time, sandwich the eggs with bread slices, and that’s it. Oh – don’t forget to spread some Japanese mayo and Karashi hot mustard. That’s the key taste of this dish. Tangy Japanese mayonnaise and spicy mustard go very well with mild flavored cooked eggs. To build your Bento, pack your favorite vegetables and fruits to add more nutrition along with the sandwich. Choose colorful ones to please the eyes of your family. There are other easy and tasty sandwich recipes in our cook book Simply Bento: Delicious Box Lunch Ideas for Healthy Portions to Go. We have over 140 Bento recipes for both main and side dishes. Simply Bento is available online and at book stores.
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp Karashi (hot mustard)
- 2 thick slices Shokupan Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- lettuce leaves
- grapes and cherries
- cucumber slices
- Mix mayo and mustard in a small bowl. Spread the mayo mixture on one surface of each slice of bread.
- Mix eggs, milk, and salt together in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a small frying pan (8") at medium high heat. Pour the egg mixture into a hot pan and stir frequently. As it sets, form a round pancake like shape with a spatula. When it becomes firm enough, flip and cook the other side a minute longer. Don't cook too long as it will dry out.
- Place the round egg on a slice of bread and sandwich with the other bread (mayo sides in). Cut off the edges of the bread if you like, then cut in half.
- Pack sandwiches and fruits and vegetables in a bento box.