Hand roll sushi is a very popular sushi dish in Japanese home cooking. You need Sushi Rice and sheets of roasted seaweed (sushi nori), but the rest of the ingredients can be just about anything imaginable.
Tuna salad and cucumber were used as fillings for this recipe here, but we also suggest smoked salmon and cream cheese, pan-fried rolled omelet (tamago-yaki), avocado, and lettuce. If you are a more advanced Japanese food person, of course you can use your favorite raw fish, too.
With all the ingredients laid out on the table, people can make their own hand rolls how they like as they eat. It is a perfect food for entertaining friends and families!
- 1 recipe of Sushi Rice
- 5-6 sheets of roasted seaweed (sushi nori), cut into quarters
- 2 cans tuna, drained
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Japanese or Persian cucumber, cut into julienne
- Suggested other ingredients: smoked salmon, cream cheese, rolled omelet (tamago-yaki), etc.
- In a medium bowl, mix tuna, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt.
- Cut sheets of seaweed into quarters. Put some Sushi Rice on the seaweed, then add tuna mixture and cucumber strips in the middle of the rice. Roll it into a cone shape.