Spinach is such a super nutritious vegetable, you want to eat it as often as you can. Spinach Ohitashi, cooked spinach salad, is a very popular, healthy, and of course tasty small side dish in Japan.
Ohitashi means soaked, and here spinach is soaked in Dashi sauce. Spinach doesn’t take any time to cook, so you can make this dish whenever dinner needs to be served in a hurry. Although a little step to make the Dashi sauce makes a big difference in terms of flavor, you could skip it and just drizzle soy sauce. It cannot get easier than that!
Sprinkle on some Kastuobushi or sesame seeds, and enjoy!
- Mix Dashi, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl.
- Boil water in a large pot, then add spinach. After 15-30 seconds, remove from heat and drain water.
- Cool spinach in running water, and squeeze water out from spinach.
- Cut spinach into 2" sections and place in a bowl. Add Dashi sauce mixture and mix well.
- Chill or serve right away with a sprinkle of Katsuobuhi.